Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Scissors, Pencils, and Hugs....What Joy!

Oct. 29-One of the boys, Jedrick, had a hangnail and I took him down to the nurse to get it taken care of. I was explaining that what I usually do is just clip the nail and put a bandaid on it. He didn't know what nail clippers were so I explained they are basically scissors shaped especially for cutting fingernails. I then went on to say that if worse came to worse, you could always use scissors to get it off. He looked at me, terrified, and said, "I don't want them to cut my finger off!!!" His look was priceless.
After that, I was helping Jedrick with his work and he started to complain about how he couldn't find 2 of his pencils. He went up to a girl in the class and started accusing her of stealing it. They argued about it for a little while until the girl's friend walked over to him, pulled up his shirt just enough to show his pocket which held his two pencils.
My absolute favorite part of the day was when I was leaving and Isaiah, the little boy I had just helped with his math, came up to me and gave me a hug goodbye. It was the best time that I'd ever had while tutoring.

No comments: